Howdy, like a lot of you, I’ve read the book and seen the movie umpteen (Texan for a large indefinite number) times. Each time I read the book or see the movie, I find some new and interesting nugget or fact. In fact so much so, for a gift one year; Jane, my wife gave me a book of photographs that chronicles the making of the movie (okay, back on task again).
Each new excursion into the book or movie always seems to bring up more questions than it answers. Does that happen when y’all reread the book or watch the movie again? Yet each time seems to bring up more questions than answers and to me that makes the saga all the more interesting.
So, I’d like to share some of my ponderings and hope y’all can help me out here:
- Did Gus really cheat for a “poke”?
- Why did Gus have to die? (My uncle has never forgiven Larry McMurtry for this!)
- What was it about Lippy that Lorie would not even give him a poke for fifty dollars?
- How did that scout survive the beating Call gave him for his rude behavior?
- Was Gus’ pistol a Walker or Dragoon? And why didn’t he ever upgrade? His rifle was an 1866 Winchester. Most men of the day preferred to have a rifle and pistol of the same caliber.
- What river was Clara’s orchard on? There are several close by but I like to think it was the Guadalupe.
- Okay, help me out here, to the best of my knowledge; don’t turkeys prefer cover and need it to survive? Just where did Big Zwey find one on the treeless Great Plains?
- Just how long did the drive last? I mean, even making ten to twelve miles a day would have taken them months just to get to the Red River.
- Just what brand did they put on the cattle they took from Flores? Seeing as how this saga was based on the Goodnight-Loving cattle drive, it would be cool to think it might resemble their road brand
- Did Call love Maggie? Was that why he never took a wife? Or was there something missing in him that prevented him from loving anything?
- Ever notice they never changed horses? I’ve worked cows and moved them. It will wear a horse out quick.
- Did Pocampo ever sneak any bugs into the drovers’ food? Compared to some of things that did go into the stew-pot on drives(ever see the recipe for SOB Stew)?
- Did Clara truly hate Call or just his friendship with Gus?
Well, these are just a few of my ponderings and I could ramble on for quite a while, but I’m interested in what y’all think. I love to ramble, but getting to discuss this kind of stuff with others really makes it worthwhile. So, don’t be shy. I’d really enjoy hearing about y’all’s thoughts and ponderings.